ZX Spectrum Game Jam 2021 Announced
The main theme is Bike Games. So, in order for your game to qualify you need to make a game that features Bikes in some way, how you implement that is up to you, have fun with the idea.
I am thinking TRIALS HD, Kikstart or the BMX game in California Games. Just a few ideas but ultimately it’s up to you.
It must be an original version though, so if you copy an idea, that’s fine but all of the game’s content must be new. Whatever you produce must run natively on real hardware.
Now for the specifics:
- Only software for the ZX Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, and NEXT computers will be accepted.
- We have three categories. Games coded in raw Z80/Basic code. Games created in AGD or La Churrera and others like this. Game programmed on the NEXT
- Please submit your entry in one of the following formats:
- Tape formats: TAP, TZX, PZX, P (ZX80/ZX81)
- Disk formats: SCL, TRD, MGT, MDR, DSK
- Snapshot formats: Z80, SNA, SZX
- NEXT Game files in ZIP Format
- The competition closes on the 31st of July 2021 at 23:59:59 (GMT). Entries submitted after this date will not be considered. All entries must be posted on itch.io, and also sent to support @ rvgsquad.co.uk”
- The game must be based on the theme of the Jam, this year’s one is Bikes.
- Entries should be submitted exclusively to this Jam/Comp by the competition deadline. Please feel free to share as you wish after the competition deadline has passed.
- Games must be submitted as freeware.
The scoring rules are very simple. Depending on the number of entries, the judges will award points to each game over several criteria (as discussed below). If there are 6 entries, 6 points go to the best, then 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 to the worst.
If a panel member has entered a game themselves, then the number of points that they can award will be adjusted (in this example, to 5) and they will not score their own release.
Execution How well you executed the game within the defined rules.
Fun Factor How awesome it is to play!
Wow Factor Is the art/sound incredible, or is the game deep beyond belief?
Originality Top marks will be awarded for original ideas and mechanics.
Replay ability Does the game have replay value?
Once the panel has scored each game accordingly, the totals for each criteria will be divided by the number of judges to produce a mean average. These averages are then added together for each game to give a final score.
The winning game, as deemed by the judging panel on the above criteria, will get published by Phoenix Ware . You will receive a free copy of the game release (maximum of 3 copies).
As part of this comp we will donate part of the proceeds to the amazing Special Effect Charity.